You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Exotech Build in New Zealand
Here's the next story - how I decided to catch and keep hot water in a tank on kit car.
The tank in question is a combo expansion and catch tank, provided as an OEM item under the bonnet of my organ donor Ford Focus. Best physics (like, air bubbles won't flow down hill, heat energy moves from hotter to colder, hot water has a lower density than cold water, more pressure raises the boiling point of water) and crude self interest (I've already paid for one tank, the hoses fit and I don't have to think too much) dictated that I would reuse it rather than buy the cute aluminium or stainless products available.
Next issue is where and how to mount it. Where? Near the black plastic hot water manifold  at the LH end of the cylinder head and high up were obvious. How was harder. I've bought a beautiful big piece of virgin 2mm alloy sheet/plate and the first though experiment and  trial was a cut out and bent up plate support for the tank.
However, there were dark forces loose in my head - the following factors came into play:
1. I could use my favourite angle grinder to split a free piece of 40 x 3 steel strip into two pieces of 18 x 3.
2. I could use my favourite big hammer to make little steel angle brackets from the same strip, cut off with 1. above.
3. I could use my favourite vise and little hammer to bend a 1. above strip to fit around the waistline of the re-used tank.
4. I could use my favourite arc welder to weld the little brackets onto the bent strip.
5. I could use my favourite rivnut tool to put 6 mm rivnuts into the chassis tubes

And so, and so - there we have the tank mounted, inlets etc in close proximity to the black plastic hot water manifold  at the LH end of the cylinder head - and elevated.
See the picture below. There's another story to come about the exhaust manifold heat shield - watch this space
Cheers
Shane

I've been a bracketeer and turned full height 7/16" UNF nuts into half size to hold the fluid reservoirs on.
I've also had the opportunity to use my new knibbler (gnibbler) to make little sharp crescent-shaped pieces of stainless steel and aluminium which can fall into my boots and stick in my feet.
Pix of bits below - and a question for the wise ones - how have you arranged bits of aluminium sheet around the pedals to keep dust, rain and hot radiator air away from those same feet?
Cheers
Shane

I have an aluminium sheet on the passenger side but nothing on the driver side around the pedals... going to get a bit sweaty in the summer months
The Rocket II is slightly different as the pedals are cockpit side of the "firewall" so a panel can be fitted across the whole width with only small holes needed for pipes & wires .. 

I guess if a box / cover is not required for protection from external objects then its just a question of warm feet or not ???

Ian
Ian.
Owner, Builder, Host of MyCarBuild.co.uk and builder of Riddler's Rocket.

Remember we build cars because we have no inter-personal skills.